Monday 5 September 2011

Can you count to four!

In 25 years of climbing to kite nests I've never had the opportunity to test that out on chicks before! It has finally happened! A nest near Llanidloes, monitored by Dee Doody, has become the first nest to my knowledge in Wales ever to rear four chicks - well I say rear! In what may seem a bit of a harsh act, the three youngest were collected on behalf of the Irish re-introduction scheme. I would have dearly loved to have left all four to fledge in Wales but we were having great difficulty finding nests with more than one! Anyway, most kite pairs in Wales only produce a single chick and if you are going to found a new population it is best to use the best genetic stock you can get!



1 comment:

  1. Absolutely fabulous! I hope the Irish look after them well.

    ReplyDelete