Tuesday 23 March 2010

Montgomeryshire Kites

I was travelling on the A.458 between Mallwyd and Welshpool yesterday afternoon and saw 6 kites in total between Mallwyd and Llanfair Caereinion. It is so pleasing to see this number of kites in our fair County!
The other day I was watching one of my local pairs of kites at their nest site in the Machynlleth area and saw one of the birds carry a morsel of carrion onto a branch high up a mature larch tree. It tore away with relish at the piece of carrion and when I zoomed in with my scope to watch the bird I was surprised to see that it was devouring the head of a badger! I could clearly see the distinctive head markings of the badger which was draped over the branch and held firmly in the kites' talons. This is an obvious illustration that kites do obtain some of their sustenance from road kills. Well it will never find a shortage of supply from that source will it? The numbers of badgers killed on the UK roads each year must be phenomenal. The poor old badger now even the kites are turning against them! (Mm... can kites get bovine TB from badgers?!)

1 comment:

  1. Elfyn,

    Can you please email location details of the birds seen between Mallwyd and Llanfair Caereinion. I know of some territories but this information could prove useful.

    Chris.

    ReplyDelete